Brisbane is the capital city of Queensland and, with a population of 2.2 million, is the third most populous city in Australia. Brisbane is Australia’s New World City, and extremely culturally diverse. It is one of the major business hubs of Australia and one of the fastest growing state economies in the country. So why should you, as an international student, choose to study there?
QUALITY OF LIFE
Brisbane has one of the lowest costs of living on any capital city in Australia. Tuition in Brisbane is low, particularly in comparison to the quality of the education it buys. This is ideal for international students looking for an affordable place to study. Brisbane is a safe and friendly city, with an easy to navigate public transportation system. Brisbane also has more sunny days per year than any other Australian capital city.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS IN BRISBANE
Brisbane is the most inclusive study destination in Australia. It is home to Australia’s largest city Orientation Day: the Brisbane Welcomes International Students Festival, which gives international students a chance to explore everything that Brisbane has to offer, then personally meet the Lord Mayor and enjoy free music and food. This is followed by the chance to network at the regular Lord Mayor’s International Students Friendship Ceremony.
Brisbane is an extremely culturally diverse city, with 21.7% of residents born outside Australia and 16% speaking a language other than English at home. For this reason, Brisbane is an exceptionally inclusive city, and international students will feel right at home there. They will also have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world, not just Australia.
International students who study in Brisbane will have the opportunity to travel and explore outside the city. Brisbane is the gateway to three of the world’s largest sand islands and sub-tropical hinterland rainforests: the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coasts. Each of these are under two hours’ travel away..
THING TO DO IN BRISBANE
There is no shortage of things to do in Brisbane. People with all manner of interests will be able to find something to enjoy. Some of the main attractions of Brisbane include:
- Southbend Parklands – a family-friendly parklands with riverside cycling and walking paths, beautiful gardens, an inner city beach, and a large range of dining and shopping options.
- River cruises – allow you to view the city from the river. There are a variety of different cruises from which to choose.
- Coot-tha lookout – provides an incredible panoramic view of Brisbane City.
- Riverlife Adventure Centre – visitors can kayak or stand up paddle board down the Brisbane River, abseil or rock climb the Kangaroo Point Cliffs, hire a bike or rollerblades, and much more.
- XXXX Brewery – visitors get a free tour of the Ale House, as well as the opportunity to taste the local favorite brew.
- Fortitude Valley – dedicated entertainment precinct where you can go to listen to live music from great performers and bands.
- Story Bridge Adventure Climb – one of only three bridge climbs in the world, the Story Bridge Adventure Climb runs at any time of day: dawn, day, twilight, and night.
- Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary – see and learn about Australia’s wildlife, have your photo taken with a koala, and feed a kangaroo and many more!